|Pokémon: Indigo League|
|July 15, 1997||September 29, 1998|
Pokémon Shipwreck (ポケモンひょうりゅうき Pokémon Adrift) is the 16th episode of the Pokémon anime series. This story leaves off where the previous one left off: Ash, Misty, Brock, and Team Rocket are stuck on the S.S. Anne which is sinking.
This episode takes place the day after the last one. At the start of the episode, a police boat pulls up close to where the St. Anne sank. Officer Jenny steps out onto the deck of the boat and makes a small speech about how they just discovered that Ash, Misty, Brock, Jessie, and James didn't make it off the ship safely. She tosses a bouquet of flowers into the water and she and the other officers salute and one plays a trumpet as the flowers sink into the water.
Meanwhile, inside the ship, Misty, Brock, and Pikachu are trying to wake Ash up. Ash wakes up and wonders
why everyone is on the ceiling. He realizes that he is the one on the ceiling because his jacket is caught on the end of a table. He falls off the table and lands on Pikachu. Misty points to the porthole and Ash sees fish swimming outside. He realizes that the ship has sunk with them still on it.
The scene cuts to Team Rocket, who have just woken up and noticed that they are underneath stoves and they are burning. They jump out and they run over to some broken pipes, which they use to put out the fire. They run out into the hall and notice everything is upside down. Meowth says the ship must have capsized and sank. James starts panicking and Jessie calls out Ekans and tells it to use Acid to open up a hole in the floor. Meowth tries to stop her, but its too late. The Acid attack opened up a hole and lets in a jet of water. They try to stop the jet but they fail and the jet washes Team Rocket away.
Meanwhile, Ash and his friends run out into a stairwell, but they are forced to stop because of the water. Misty says that it will take a while for the ship to fill up with water, but they must still hurry. Ash wants to dive down to the deck but Brock says its too dangerous. Misty sends out Goldeen to look through the water. Goldeen finds Team Rocket, unconscious.
Ash and his friends wait for Goldeen to come back. Goldeen comes back, pushing Team Rocket along with it. Team Rocket wakes up and challenges them to a battle, sending Ekans and Koffing out. Ash sends out Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur while Brock sends out Geodude. The ship starts to tip and tilt side to side. Misty tells everyone to recall their Pokémon and the ship stops tilting.
Misty wants them all to work together, but they don't want to. She makes them all shake hands and form a temporary alliance. Ash shakes Jessie's hand, Brock shakes James's hand, and Pikachu shakes Meowth's paw but ends up shocking him, getting Pikachu a lecture from Misty. Misty says she knows the blueprints of the ship because she made a model of the ship once and says they should go up to the bottom of the ship and cut a hole in the hull to escape. They head to a broken staircase and Brock sends out Onix and tells everyone to use Onix as a staircase to get up.
The lights in the ship start to fail as the group heads down a hallway. Ash brings out Charmander to help everyone see where they're going. They enter the next room and find they can't cross it because of a massive fire and a large gap, cutting off the pathway to the engine room. Ash gets an idea after Pikachu gives his brain a jump-start. Ash sends out Bulbasaur and tells Bulbasaur to use Vine Whip to make a bridge for everyone to cross. Ash, Misty, and Brock start to cross but James is too afraid. He tells Jessie and Meowth to leave him behind. Jessie slaps him and tells Bulbasaur to bring the vines back.
They all safely make it to the engine room, even though Team Rocket is worn out. Ash brings out Charmander to cut a hole in the hull by using Flamethrower. Misty reminds everyone to strap themselves to a water Pokémon, but Team Rocket doesn't have any Water Type Pokémon. The hull opens up, sends out a waterfall. Ash recalls Charmander, since Charmander is running away from the water. Ash and Pikachu strap themselves to Squirtle, Misty straps herself to Goldeen, and Brock straps himself to Starmie. While Ash and friends swim out of the ship to safety, Team Rocket is stranded. James starts laughing and holds up his Magikarp's golden Poké Ball. They try to escape with Magikarp, but discover that it can't swim. The water picks up the ship and carries it into a trench.
Ash and his friends climb onto a small raft and they wonder what happened to Team Rocket. Brock suggest that they find dry land. Ash sends out Pidgeotto to look for it. Pidgeotto finds Team Rocket floating on the surface of the ocean, still strapped to Magikarp. Pidgeotto brings them back to the raft and Ash, Misty, and Brock think that they have died and attempt to give them a burial by pushing them back into the water. Jessie and James wake up in time and Ash and friends think they are zombies. Meowth, who was pushed in the water, starts yelling for help. Pikachu snaps his fingers, upset Meowth isn't dead.
They are all forced to stay on the raft for the night and they wake up very hungry. Ash, Brock Jessie and James think about what to make from Magikarp. Meowth attempts to eat Magikarp, but only breaks his teeth because Magikarp is nothing except skin and bones. James, mad that the Pokémon isn't even good as food, kicks off the raft and says he doesn't want to be its trainer anymore. Magikarp evolves into Gyarados. Misty gets Goldeen, Starmie and Staryu and everyone starts pushing raft as fast as they can to get away from Gyarados. Gyarados stops chasing them suddenly. Everyone thinks its tired except Misty. She remembers hearing sailor stories about Dragon Rage. The waves pick up and more Gyarados come. They start whipping up a water cyclone. The Gyarados head to the raft. Brock tries to flee again but Misty says its no use, that no one has ever survived a Dragon Rage attack. The cyclone hits the raft. Ash and his friends try to hold on but they go spinning off.
Characters and Items
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Pidgeotto (Ash's)
- Bulbasaur (Ash's)
- Charmander (Ash's)
- Squirtle (Ash's)
- Staryu (Misty's)
- Starmie (Misty's)
- Goldeen (Misty's)
- Geodude (Brock's)
- Onix (Brock's)
- Ekans (Jessie's)
- Koffing (James')
- Magikarp (James')
- Officer Jenny: At first we thought all the passengers had gotten safely off the ship, but we have just discovered that five people are missing: Ash, Misty, Brock, Jessie and James. It makes all of us sad to think that these young Pokémon trainers have had their promising careers cut tragically short. May these flowers honor your memory.
- Brock: Hey, are you feeling OK, Ash?
- Pikachu: Pikachu.
- Ash: What? Oh brother. What're you talking about "Am I feeling ok"? You guys are the ones who're upside down.
- Misty: You're definitely the one upside-down.
- Jessie: Something's really burning!
- Meowth: You picked a bad place for a nap.
- James: We've got to abandon ship immediately!
- Meowth: I'm afraid it won't be so easy to get off while the ship's underwater.
- James: AHHH! THE SHIP SUNK! WE'RE DOOMED!
- [after Jessie's Ekans makes a hole]
- Meowth: Didn't I tell you numbskulls we're sinking? You think we need another hole on the ship?
- Ash: Team Rocket?
- Brock: They look terrible.
- Brock: [to Team Rocket] So, you followed us all the way to the bottom of the sea.
- Brock: Geodude! Come back to this side.
- Misty: You guys, call back your Pokémon.
- Ash: But Team Rocket will beat us if we call our Pokémon back.
- Brock: He's right.
- Misty: We can't worry about that right now. We've got worse troubles.
- Ash and Brock: Yeah. [call back their Pokémon]
- Misty: [to Team Rocket] Call your Pokémon back too. What's more important: A Pokémon battle or your life?
- Jessie: She's right. Good point. [calls Ekans back as James calls Koffing back]
- [everyone sighs in relief]
- Misty: Okay then, we all agree there won't be any battles for now. Let's work together. [notices Team Rocket, Ash and Brock still angry at each other] Come on now. SHAKE HANDS!
- Jessie: [shakes hands with Ash] This is just a temporary truce until we get out of this mess.
- Ash: Better believe it.
- [Brock and James do the same, but as Pikachu and Meowth shake paws, the former twitches an eye and shocks the latter]
- Misty: Pikachu!
- Jessie: It's agreed, we work together.
- Ash: Now we gotta think of some way to escape.
- Misty: Leave it to me. I forgot to mention, I built my own St. Anne once.
- Brock: Really?
- Misty: It was a model.
- Ash: Oh, great.
- Misty: Let's move it or lose it!
- Team Rocket: Yes ma'am.
- James: Jessica.
- Jessie: Yes, James?
- James: Whoever said 'Beauty doesn't last', must've been thinking of us.
- Jessie: I'll always remember what a wonderful dresser you were.
- James: So will I.
- Misty: Will you two knock it off?! There's gotta be someway to get off this ship! There must be some angle we haven't thought of yet.
- "Think Ash. Pikachu, give my brain a jump-start." — Ash
- "Thanks, that's just what I needed." — Ash after Pikachu shocks him.
- Meowth: Now I know what a toasted marshmallow feels like.
- Meowth: I hate water, especially wet water.
- Jessie: You're laughing? I don't see what's so funny, James.
- Meowth: The poor guy must be cracking up, just like the ship.
- James: You really made fun of me, but who's got the last laugh now? Well a true genius is never appreciated until there's trouble. I knew we'd need this in a tight spot, look.
- Jessie: Could it be?
- Jessie and Meowth: Magikarp! We're not worthy.
- 'James: Feast your eyes on the king of carp, Magikarp.
- Jessie: 'You're the best, James!
- Meowth: I take back the jokes. From now on I'll treat you with the respect you deserve.
- James: Better late than never.
- James: [about Magikarp] Lucky for us I bought this, even if it cost next months salary.
- Jessie: Don't tell me this fish can't swim.
- Meowth: Forget swim, it can barely splash.
- Jessie: We're doomed.
- Brock: I remember the story of Noah who, when he had to find dry land, sent a bird to find it and return with a branch.
- "Not even Team Rocket deserved this." — Ash about Team Rocket's demise
- The Gang: AHHHH! Zombies!
- James: Who are you calling zombies?
- Jessie: We are not zombies.
- Meowth: Somebody help! My fur is getting wet.
- Pikachu: [snaps his fingers in frustration] Chu!
- Misty: [venting] If I'd known I was gonna be starving, I would've stuffed my face full when I was on the St. Anne!
- James: Aw, I want some food.
- Jessie: Stop it!
- Meowth: Yeah, that whining makes feel even hungrier.
- "I wouldn't try that again if I was you. Check your Pokédex cause Magikarp is just scales and bones." — Misty about Magikarp.
- James: Ugh. Not only can that fish not swim, it's not even good for eating.
- Jessie: See? I told you buying it was stupid.
- James: [to Magikarp] You good for nothing fish! I don't want to be your master! [kicks Magikarp in the water] Good riddance, Magikarp.
- Misty: I feel sorry for it.
- James: What is that?!
- Misty: Now you've done it. Magikarp has evolved into Gyarados!
- Jessie: Gyarados? I miss Magikarp.
- [Ash looks up on his Pokédex about Gyarados]
- Dexter: Gyarados. This Pokémon has a vicious temperament, so use extreme caution. Its fangs can crush stones and its scales are harder than steel.
- James: I'm James, your master, obey me.
- [Gyarados roars, scaring James as a result]
- Jessie: Dimwit! If you're the master, don't act like you're scared of it!
- James: I am scared.
- "How will you battle it?" — Brock
- "My strategy is... RUN AWAY!" — Misty
- Jessie and James: We made it!
- Misty: Unless the stories are true.
- Ash: 'What're you talking about Misty?
- Misty: Sailors talk terrible stories about the Gyarados. I think this might be... it may be Dragon Rage.
- Everyone Else: Dragon Rage?
- "Help! We're Gyarados bait!" — James scared again.
- "Hey, what're they doing?" — Ash
- "Dragon Rage, Gyarados' ultimate attack." — Misty
- "No one's ever gotten away from Dragon Rage." — Misty about Dragon Rage
- "Hey Brock, Misty, Pikachu! Whatever happens, don't let go!" — Ash
- When Ash and co. get hit by Gyarados' Dragon Rage, Team Rocket yells「 やなかんじ！」 "Yana Kanji!" "Bad Feeling!" in their Japanese voices, which is the Japanese equivalent of "Team Rocket is blasting off again!".
- During the scene when the Pokémon are running back and forth to give the ship more balance, Brock yells for Geodude to come back, part of Ekans can be seen to the left of Brock, even though Ekans just went to the other side.
- On a related note, after Brock tells Geodude to come back, the scene moves outside the ship for a few seconds, and then back in, and when it returns to the inside, Geodude is on the same side as all the other Pokémon, when it should be with Brock.
- When James shows Jessie and Meowth the gold-plated Poké Ball containing the Magikarp he bought in the last episode, the ball doesn't have scratch marks anymore (Meowth had scratched the front of the ball out of anger at James in the previous episode).
- Fish that aren't Pokémon appear in this episode.
- The "Who's that Pokémon" of this episode is Magikarp.
- This is the first ever episode that Ash uses a Bird Pokémon for long range surveillance.
- Brock made a reference to Noah of Noah's Ark.
- Although Misty's Goldeen has, on several occassions, been shown to be extremely weak out of the water, in the water here, it is strong enough to carry Jesse, James and Meowth, and even throw them clean out of the water.
- Jessie and James made a reference to the movie The Poseidon Adventure when Ash's Bulbasaur was letting everyone cross its vines. The St. Anne also capsizes, trapping a small group of survivors inside, as happened in the movie.